Everybody has hurts, hang-ups and habits!
The Bible clearly states “all have sinned.” It is my nature to sin, and it is yours too. None of us is untainted. Because of sin, we’ve all hurt ourselves, we’ve all hurt other people, and others have hurt us. This means each of us have things to deal with in order to live our lives the way God intended.
So this Easter, we are giving you an opportunity to take some of your hurts, hang-ups and habits and exchange them for healing, freedom and peace.
Galatians 5:1 It is for freedom that Christ has set us free.
- Identify which hurts, habits and hang-ups you’d like to deal with this Easter, and write them down. Bring the piece of paper on Easter Sunday.
For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. Romans 7:18
- Write down the reasons you think those areas are there. Be honest with yourself.
Let us examine our ways and test them, and let us return to the Lord. Lamentations 3:40
- Consecrate your life to God again. See the sample prayer below, and ask Him into all the areas of your heart.
Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God – this is your spiritual act of worship. Romans 12:1
PRAYER: Dear Heavenly Father, I come to you boldly in Jesus’ name. Take me as I am. I now give myself – my heart, my mind, my body, my time, talents and treasure to you. Fill me and possess me. I renounce all sins, self and Satan. Jesus, sanctify me. Cleanse me, purge me, purify me. Your will be done in my life, on earth as it is in heaven. Let me manifest a faithful spirit, a pure mind and a sickless body to your glory. Amen.
- Confess and surrender your hurts, habits and hang-ups to God. Ask Him to help you in your shortcomings. See prayer below.
Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up. James 4:10
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9
PRAYER: I ask you Holy Spirit to heal these areas of my hurts, hang-ups and habits. I choose to express my feelings of hurt, frustration and negative emotions to you Lord. (Doing this will help you release your emotions). Lord Jesus Christ, I invite you into these memories, habits, hurts and hang-ups and I ask you to bring your healing and Truth. (Allow Him ample time to heal you). Break any ungodly beliefs you have about your hurts, hang-ups and habits, and swap them out for godly beliefs.
- Repent before God. (Repentance means: understand what He has done for you, and how He loves you, then because of these things, have a change of heart about sinful behaviour). Ask Him to forgive you for your hurts, hang-ups and habits. Be specific. Understand that there is nothing you need to do for God to earn His forgiveness. It is a free gift.
Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, forbearance and patience, not realizing that God’s kindness is intended to lead you to repentance? Romans 2:4
- Forgive anyone who needs forgiving that are associated with your hang-ups, and make direct amends where it is possible, or appropriate. Spend some time with the Holy Spirit and ask Him to heal those places in your heart, which are hurt. Forgiveness doesn’t make the other person right, it’s just a choice to not hold them to account for what they did any longer.
Do to others as you would have them do to you. Luke 6:31
Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to your brother; then come and offer your gift. Matthew 5:23-24
- Forgive yourself for letting these hurts, hang-ups and habits rob you from experiencing the fullness of life!
Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead Philippians 3:13
for whenever our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and he knows everything. 1 John 3:20
- Are there any members of your family who have the same hurts, hang-ups and habits? Cut off spiritual curses. See prayer below.
maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children and their children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation.” Exodus 34:7
PRAYER: I confess the sins of my ancestors, parents and my own sins of ___________. I choose to forgive and release my ancestors, as well as all others who have influenced me for these sins and curses. (Be specific). I ask you to forgive me, Lord, for these sins and for yielding to them. I receive your forgiveness. On the basis of your forgiveness, Lord, I choose to forgive myself for entering into these sins. I renounce the sins and curses of ___________. I break these powers from my life and the lives of my descendants through the redemptive work of Christ on the cross. I receive God’s freedom from these sins and the resulting curses. I receive ________________.
- Find 3-4 scriptures that directly speak to the hurt, hang up or habit that you want to exchange and speak them over your life daily. Meditate on them, and let them wash away your hurts, hang-ups and habits.
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly. Colossians 3:16
Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Joshua 1:8
- Find someone trustworthy (small group leader?) to admit your hurts, hang-ups and habits to and ask them to pray for you.
Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. James 5:16
Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore them gently. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted. Galatians 6:1
- Spend time in worship, and soak in God’s presence. Let Him heal you and wash over you. You could try Hillsong, Elevation worship, Bethel Music or Julie True has great soaking music.
Rather, worship the Lord your God; it is he who will deliver you from the hand of all your enemies.” 2 Kings 17:39
I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. Ezekiel 36:26
- Put on the Armor of God. Use this prayer as an outline to help you prepare for each day, while you are working through hurts, hang-ups and habits. First, put on the Armor of God, and then ask the Holy Spirit to give you wisdom, guide your steps, and help you stand and fight against the enemy daily.
Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. Ephesians 6:10-17
The Helmet of Salvation
Thank You, Lord, for my salvation. I receive it in a new and fresh way from You and I declare that nothing can separate me now from the
love of Christ and the place I shall ever have in Your kingdom.
The Breastplate of Righteousness
Lord, I wear Your righteousness today against all condemnation and corruption. Fit me with Your holiness and purity—defend me from all assaults against my heart.
The Belt of Truth
Lord, I put on the belt of truth. I choose a lifestyle of honesty and integrity. Show me the truths I so desperately need today. Expose the lies that I am not even aware that I believe.
The Shoes of the Gospel of Peace
I choose to live for the gospel at all times. Show me how I can be a part of what You are doing on the earth. Keep me focused on the path You want me to walk.
The Shield of Faith
Jesus, I lift the confidence that You are good against every lie and every assault of the enemy. You have good in store for me. Nothing is coming today that can overcome me because You are with me.
The Sword of the Spirit
Holy Spirit, show me specifically today the truths of the Word of God that I will need to counter the snares of the enemy. Bring them to mind throughout the day.